Tip of the week: Where do I start when I’m painting a room in my house?
I am always asked by DIYers where do I start when I’m painting a room in my house.
The sequence should go as follows.
1. Select the colors you want to paint. (Tip #1 if you have been following along)
2. Cover up the items in the room you want to protect completely with plastic, drop cloths, and painters tape.
3. Remove your wall plates, window coverings or any hardware like towel bars that you don’t want paint on.
4. Fill in any cracks at transitions, perform any wall repairs and do any surface cleaning to prepare the surfaces.
5. Start with the ceilings by painting with a brush the corners and around fixtures, then rolling in the large areas.
6. Next you paint the walls using a brush to edge to the ceiling and trim in the room. I am no fan of edging tools or taping off the ceiling or trim. The transitions will be straighter in appearance by using a good quality paint brush. Once edged, roll the large areas with a suitable length roller cover.
7. Finally paint the baseboards, door trims and any trim items in the room with a paint brush.
I hope these tips are helpful and if you follow these simple steps you will be painting like a pro in no time. Or feel free to schedule your next painting project with our crews who spend their days following these steps.